Wednesday 17 December 2014

The Spirit of Christmas - Greengage Home Brew

On Sunday Marcus finally got around to bottling last years greengage wine ready for Christmas.

Way back when, when it first went into the demijohn we had high hopes for this vintage. I absolutely love greengages and even so early in the process it actually tasted quite pleasant (comparatively!) so I was pretty excited to sample the finished brew.

Wowzer!! you could almost see the alcohol fumes hovering above the rim of the glass - we are suspecting around 40% proof for this baby! It is definitely more Greengage spirit than wine but actually tastes pretty smooth and quaff able. Things could get quite messy this Christmas!

This is definitely a tipple to proudly present to our guests and maybe even a gift for a select, lucky few!

Now I see the beauty of a blog......in just a couple of lines I have ensured that if I turn up on your door with a bottle of home brew instead of an expensive bottle of vino you will feel truly honored rather than short changed!



Having chopped and changed our mind several times we have finally decided on our Christmas Bird and are going for a couple of Guinea Fowl - feeling rather organised as they are now ordered along with the rest of our Christmas meat and just need to be collected on Christmas Eve.
Last years turkey was a great success (we brined it in buttermilk) but absolutely huge. The smallest turkeys that our butcher sells weigh in at a hefty 5Kg.  As we are now having a quiet (referring to size rather than volume!) Christmas it seems a dreadful waste to spend so much on meat that would end up being curried, souped, sandwiched etc. so, after much discussion, Guinea Fowl has won over duck, goose and pizza!

I am also going to have a go a making my own Gravadlax, I have to say I am rather excited about this. We all love it but I have yet to make my own and will start the process tomorrow by buying a side of salmon and freezing it for a couple of days.

We are off to the panto this evening. Only 8 more sleeps to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment